Also known a Coventry Victor super speed, or S.S.8, the 8 denoting the HP of the engine.
This engine is fitted with a BTH magneto as standard, which has a advance and retard controlled by cable.
View of the side of the engine with the cylinders removed, showing the connecting rod and Cam follower, plus the oil pump pressure gauge feed pipe connection.
The back view of the oil pump and the chain drive. The chain is mounted in its own casing to stop any oil loss from splashing when running, as the chain picks up oil from the outboard leg, as the leg is full of oil. This would all be behind the flywheel.
Front view, this shows the dog drive for the hand crank in the centre, this is the cam shaft and the hole for the magneto at the top, but with the chain and sprocket removed from the magneto drive, the sprocket at the bottom drives the crank shaft.
Start of the reassembly process.
Repainted the aluminium block, polished the bronze water pump, the carburettor is an Amal type 124, was polished rather than re-plated.
Cylinder heads and barrels fitted, also a new set of piston rings, as I was lucky to get the last full set from CV, the water system fitted, inlet manifolds fitted.
BTH magneto fitted, no information for setting the timing from scratch in the manuals, but the previous owner had drawn a diagram in one of the manuals, which made no sense until I tried it.
This shows both the oil fillers.
The front one is the engine oil filler.
The rear oil filler is for filling the outboard leg up with oil, it takes 5 pints to fill the leg, as this one is a long shaft version of this outboard.
Rear view of the engine shows the top of the leg and the chain drive, which runs a bevel gear that converts the drive to the main prop shaft.
A little more information on the Coventry victor SS8.
4-stroke twin, 340cc, 8hp.
Tank fuel capacity 1.5 gallons.
60mm bore, 60mm stroke.
5hp at 2000rpm, Max 8bhp at 3,300rpm.
Cast iron cylinders and heads.
Crankcase, non-corrosive aluminium.
As you can see there is some damage on the top part of the transom. I have seen the same damage on other examples of the motor, it is caused by the thumb lock screw, when the motor is tilted too far forward. This has been repaired and a new exhaust had to be made, just the outer casing only needed to be replaced, so I made one out of stainless steel.